By developing a greater understanding of common mental health issues, as well as how best to support and guide someone experiencing poor mental health, Mental Health First Aiders play a vital role in reducing the stigma associated with mental health in the UK.
Throughout this 2-day course, learners will develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to actively promote positive mental health in the workplace by covering a range of topics, including: understanding mental health and its importance, awareness of their own well-being as a Mental Health First Aider, common mental health conditions, how to support those experiencing poor mental health at work with tools such as active listening and non-judgmental support.
Supporting people with mental health conditions in your workplace
The ‘Thriving at Work’ report sets out a framework of actions – called ‘Core Standards’ – that the reviewers recommend employers of all sizes can and should put in place:
- Produce, implement and communicate a mental health at work plan that promotes good mental health of all employees and outlines the support available for those who may need it
- Develop mental health awareness among employees by making information, tools and support accessible
- Encourage open conversations about mental health and the support available when employees are struggling, during the recruitment process and at regular intervals throughout employment, offer appropriate workplace adjustments to employees who require them
- Provide employees with good working conditions and ensure they have a healthy work life balance and opportunities for development
- Promote effective people management to ensure all employees have a regular conversation about their health and well-being with their line manager, supervisor or organisational leader and train and support line managers and supervisors in effective management practices
- Routinely monitor employee mental health and wellbeing by understanding available data, talking to employees, and understanding risk factors
Mental Health First Aid Course Content
- Understand Mental Health and its importance
- Understand roles and responsibilities in relation to Mental Health in the workplace
- Understand a range of common Mental Health conditions:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Stress (Work-related and other)
- Panic attacks
- Eating disorders
- Know how to implement Mental Health first aid strategies in the workplace
- Understand how employers can provide support to employees
The Qualsafe Level 3 Award in Mental Health First Aid in the Workplace (RQF) is a regulated and nationally recognised qualification that has been specifically designed for those who would like to become a Mental Health First Aider in their workplace. This qualification raises learners’ awareness of mental health, develops an understanding on how to support, reassure and signpost fellow colleagues to professional support.